Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Alexa Bag of ****

Discussion in 'General Webmaster Helpdesk' started by RiverWire, Aug 17, 2007.

1. RiverWire

RiverWire New Member Webmaster

Alexa is a bit of a joke in my opinion and held in such hi respects in some webmasters eyes, which also adds value to a site (which i cant see why)

As you all know ive been running my Tottenham Hotspur site for nearly a year now, through out last season i had a steady 300 - 500 uniques a day my alexa ranking was around 950000 which i know isnt good but i was hoping to improve on that and looked at it as a goal of mine.

Now the Football season has just started and everyones gone mad, the site's hitting 500 - 1000 uniques aday now which is great, adsense revenue has gone upto to resemble the boost in people, more people in the forums posting good articles it's getting towards what i want it to be, also with good rankings in serps for a hell of a lot of keywords im really pleased.

But since this hike in traffic my alexa ranking has taken a dive lol to 1183819

Ive also before the hike in traffic installed the alexa banner on the homepage and installed the toolbar, is there something else that can affect it ?

Or is it just that all the sites that where behind me have just got busier too? just alot busier than me .

Whats your views on Alexa ?
  2. temi

temi Facilitator Webmaster

Probably most of your visitors do not have Alexa installed........ most of the time only webmasters install alexa....
  3. RiverWire

RiverWire New Member Webmaster

oh yeah didnt think of that haha thanks temi.
  4. mrcrowley

mrcrowley New Member Webmaster

I personally do not hold much (if any) value in alexa traffic. My directory SEO Friendly General Directory - allskytv.com had a traffic ranking of less thank 100k. Each month since launch traffic has close to doubled compared to each previous month. So you might expect it would have a pretty great alexa rank by now, but no its actually dropping a few k here and there.

I think the reason for this is that people with alexa toolbar installed are mostly webmasters and webmasters are only a small percentage of the entire web population a lot of my traffic comes from search engines. I guess most general users don't use alexa toolbar.

Featured Resources (View All)