Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Fraudsters beware

Discussion in 'eCommerce' started by Paul_KY, May 20, 2005.

1. Paul_KY

Paul_KY New Member Webmaster

Now, some of you may not even know you're committing, "fraud", but ignorance of the law is NO defense. When above your Google Adsense ads your text reads, "Please support our sponsors/advertisers", you’re duping the advertisers, as your guests will click out of sheer sympathy. The same goes for, "Support <insert site>! You’re asking your users to click.

Click the link above, read about the class action lawsuit, and know heads will start to roll. And remember, sh*t rolls downhill, so if you're using these tactics I'd stop immediately. And if you know of anyone else doing it, write them and let them know about it, especially if it's a friend.

If the advertisers aren’t receiving a positive ROI, eventually those Google Adsense checks will drop EVEN MORE than they already have.

2. Paul_KY

"Click fraud is the latest problem plaguing the Internet, alongside spam, identity theft and online-auction fraud. Some believe about 20% of clicks are from people not necessarily interested in the product advertised, and therefore in the industry's view, fraudulent; others say the problem is less severe. What's clear is that if left unchecked, click fraud could damage the credibility of Google, Yahoo and the search-ad industry that spurred their meteoric growth.

Click fraud is "the biggest threat to the Internet economy," Google's chief financial officer, George Reyes, said during a December investors conference. "Something has to be done about this really, really quickly, because potentially it threatens our business model." In regulatory filings last month, search concern Ask Jeeves Inc., which recently agreed to be acquired by IAC/InterActiveCorp for $1.95 billion, said search-ad revenue might decline "if advertisers come to perceive click-fraud as a widespread and pervasive problem."
  3. OldWelshGuy

OldWelshGuy New Member Webmaster

I agree, it is wrong. and damn annoying that some are spoiling it for others.
  4. temi

temi Facilitator Webmaster

You are spot on Paul,
    Click fraud is a recuring theme in online advertising, lets hope an effective deterent can be put in place to combat it. I can think of any effective one though :(
  5. Paul_KY

6. ovi

ovi Guest

I am really curious what can be done, I have think at this problem several times but I did't come to an end. Anyway who can stop a guy that take a list of proxy servers and build a php script that generate clicks from this proxy?

7. Paul_KY

Right, Ovi! If 99% of Google's advertisers understood what you just posted, and its ramifications, Google would be a penny stock right now.
  8. pinyo

pinyo Guest

Good posts Paul...agreed 100%. Fraud clicks make it worse for everyone.

Featured Resources (View All)