Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Free mobile internet...

Discussion in 'Mobile and Applications' started by melkior, May 12, 2007.

1. melkior

melkior Guest

...or close enough.

I'm actually on the road while I'm writing this. I had to travel for some reason.

But as you see I'm online. Well there are solutions like Vodafone Mobile Connect and stuff but I'm not using it.
    Let's mystify this a little bit more. If you could check my IP you'd see that I have the same IP as always.
    So how did I pull that off?

Well, you'll need 2 mobile phones, 2 computers (one of them should be a laptop) and you'll need a mobile service provider which allows you free calls to your friends' numbers.

I've got two mobile phones. One of them is on subscription and the other one is pre-paid. My mobile provider allows me to register 3 numbers and call them for free. So I set up my pre-paid mobile as a free call.
    I conected the pre-paid phone with my computer at home and set it up as dial in modem. I also set up the mobile phone to only accept calls from my subscription phone.

My home computer was set up to bridge all of the incoming connections (from the pre-paid phone) to my broadband cable connection.

Once that was set up, I took my laptop and my subscription phone with me.
    I connected them via Bluetooth and used my mobile phone as a modem and the dial up connection number was the number of the pre-paid phone.
    As soon as I connected I had Internet access, and the call was free. :D

It's not fast or anything, but it's free and it works. So I thought I'd share it with you guys here.

Featured Resources (View All)