Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Google Earth Offers New Local Search Experience

Discussion in 'General Webmaster Helpdesk' started by ovi, Jun 28, 2005.

1. ovi

ovi Guest

MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif. - June 28, 2005 - Google Inc. (NASDAQ: GOOG) today announced the launch of Google Earth, Google's new satellite imagery-based mapping product that combines 3D buildings and terrain with mapping capability and Google search. Based on Keyhole technology, Google Earth enables users to fly from space to street level views to find geographic information and explore places around the world.

Key features of Google Earth include:
    · Free software download available at http://earth.google.com
    · 3D buildings in major cities across the United States
    · 3D terrain showing mountains, valleys, and canyons around the world
    · Integrated Google Local search to find local information such as
    hotels, restaurants, schools, parks, and transportation
    · Fast, dynamic navigation
    · Video playback of driving directions
    · Tilt, rotate, and activate 3D terrain and buildings for a different
    perspective on a location
    · Easy creation and sharing of annotations among users

"Google Earth utilizes broadband streaming technology and 3D graphics, much like a videogame, enabling users to interactively explore the
    world-- either their own neighborhood or the far corners of the globe,"
    said John Hanke, general manager, Keyhole, Google Inc. "With many ways to access geographic information, Google provides a very rich local search experience for users worldwide."

Google Earth is the latest innovation within Google's local search product suite, which currently includes Google Local and Google Maps for web users and mobile phone users. With Google Earth, users have the tools to dive deeper into local information, whether they're exploring a vacation destination or researching a new home or apartment. They can combine multiple layers of information, such as cross-referencing school districts with address look-ups of available homes, business listings and public transportation, and save their results for later use.

For users interested in more advanced mapping capabilities, Google Earth Plus ($20/year) offers additional features including GPS compatibility, data import, and annotation. Google Earth Pro ($400/year), for commercial use, offers high-resolution printing and GIS data import capabilities.

Google Local
    Google Local at http://local.google.com helps users locate businesses in a specific geographic location. Google Local offers comprehensive local information including business listings, reviews and related Web pages.

Google Maps
    Google Maps at http://maps.google.com, is a browser-based online mapping service that enables users to find location information, navigate through maps, and get directions quickly and easily. The service features results from Google Local to offer users access to traditional business listings combined with relevant information from Google's 8 billion page web index.

Google Local for mobile phones
    Google Local is also available for XHTML-enabled mobile phones. When users visit http://mobile.google.com/local from their phones, they can type a query such as [wifi hotspot] in the 'What' search box and [10019] in the 'Where' search box to receive Google Local results of wifi hotspots in New York City. Available in the U.S. and Canada only, this service enables users to find business listings and driving directions, view an area using Google Maps with zooming capabilities, and click-to-call. Users may also use Google SMS to receive Google Local results via a text message.

About Google Inc.
    Google's innovative search technologies connect millions of people around the world with information every day. Founded in 1998 by Stanford Ph.D. students Larry Page and Sergey Brin, Google today is a top web property in all major global markets. Google's targeted advertising program provides businesses of all sizes with measurable results, while enhancing the overall web experience for users. Google is headquartered in Silicon Valley with offices throughout the Americas, Europe, and Asia. For more information, visit www.google.com.
  2. ovi

ovi Guest

Cool application

I have just download the Google Earth and test . It's amazing, I have found the university building where I study in Bologna (Italy), the house where I lived there, strewets, places...really amazing, this made me lived some really nice moments :)

3. I just saw CNN using google earth to display a graphical map of an area a helicopter crashed in afghanistan, "provided by google earth" or something similar was displayed on the screen momenterily.

I thought google and CNN were at each other's throats over bad pubuliciy?
  4. Duke

Duke Guest

I've only seen screens of Google Earth but it does look awesome.
  5. I just read in the paper that google earth is now under serious investigation accross the globe by both governments and private sectors.

They are worried about the detailed images google earth provides of military bases, nuclear power stations, police compounds, the list is end less.

Alot of people a worried that terrorists and America's enemies can now get detailed maps of their military and civilian targets and make better plans of attack. One such fear was reported by the south korean government, a good ally of the west, concerning north korea's ability to use google earth to spy on its miliary compounds and put at risk the thousand of US troops sationed there including its on army and population.

So are google going to have tp pull this one or sensor it? They'd effectively need to camofladge the bases as a big white square with "classified" written on it will show it presence.
  6. Paul_KY

Paul_KY New Member Webmaster

I've been playing 'round with google earth for a few days, and I must say it's scary.

I typed in my address and it allowed me to zoom in so close to my home, It reminded me I needed to cut the grass. I'm not kidding. It showed the color of my roof, the color of my cars, my neighbors cars/roofs, etc. This technology isn't only dangerous because terrorists have access to your front door, it's dangerous because any monkey would take your IP address, do a trace route, find out your cordinates, and be at your front door within hours.

If someone would like to tell me the town and street you live in (not your address), I'd be able to tell you all streets around you, where the closest place to eat is, and where's the nearest lodging.

IMHO, it's too late. The bad guys have already downloaded this monster. Who knows how many will die now.

I don't blame google for the technology, I blame them for not running this across the authorities prior to release. I mean, they HAD to know what this could do. IMHO, they were too arrogant, as always, and just wanted to show off.

Google will now be at the very TOP of our Governments sh*t list. They've really shot themselves in the foot this time.
  7. clau

clau Guest

I think you are overreacting.

First: if any enemy of any state want to attack somebody, lets say, the don't need Google Earth. To this day all mayor military powers have their own spy satellites. And i am sure that they are more performant as Google Earth.

Second: terrorists don't need Google Earth. There have been terrorist attacks long before Google Earth. I don't think that only Google is to be blaimed. I remember a few years ago, I saw on the TV that on the internet can be found the detailed description of making bombs. But we can blame Google for that too because they got the best search engine?

This is insane.

And Paul_KY: why anybody will do that just to get to you?
  8. no, but then again there were terrorist attacks before guns and explosives. These thigns just made it easier for them, it is the same as google earth. Every little bits helps you know, and google earth would certinly help with the planning of operations and make such satelight photos more widespread.
  9. Paul_KY

The country you live in may have no criminals. But the country I live in has many. The technology makes it too easy to find anyone a criminal wishes to find.

I'm anti-crime. And I'm anti-stalking.

Can you explain your position, that criminals should be given software, which easily lets them prey on innocent victims?
  10. clau

clau Guest

I did not say that and I am anti-crime too. I too say that Google made a mistake. Mostly the military facilities, the nuclear plants are in the middle of nowhere so it is easy for Google to erase them from their maps or to censore them.

But you can't think like this. We saw that terrorists can use planes to make their attacks so we should close all airports? We should ban all airplanes?

BTW, Google is not the only company in the world which is using satelite pictures.
  11. clau

clau Guest

PrivateInvestigator you are right and maybe not.

It would be interesting to see a terrorist attack withouth guns and explosives. The explosives and guns were discovered so early that I don't think any terrorist attack took place before the explosives and guns.

Of course that these maps make it easyer for them to attack, but so does TV or radio, or cellphones.
  12. OldWelshGuy

OldWelshGuy New Member Webmaster

Totally agree man, but a donkey fully laden with gun powder ruuning ata tent somehow doesn't have the same effect as two planes now does it. !

Everything is relative, and I think what the original post was saying is that E=MC2 energy can not be destroyed, only tranferred, so there is always a trade off. Heat when you want light from a bulb etc. Technology is a double edged sword, and just as Morphine can ease the pain, it brings pain to an addict.
  13. There's no way google earth is as useful as a plane or a cell phone.

What do people use it for anyway, "ohhh, look I can see my house" or to make an online route finder have better graphics.

Is it really worth the security implcations for just that? Planes and cell phone can give us much more diverse and communicative lives what can google earth do for us for it to be worth the risk?
  14. Paul_KY

OWG, would I be correct if I stated you most likely know of the following streets? Creswell Rd, Greenway Rd, Alfred St, Queen St and Gnoll Dr.

Do you see how dangerous this technology is, now that any joe shmoe has access to it, and it's ease?
  15. clau

clau Guest

This could be done with Yahoo!Maps too. But there is no picture only maps.
    I agree. I used it just a few times. But the planes was just an example that not only this is helping bad guys.

Anyway, we can argue as long as we want that is good or not. Our oppinion does not count. If Google has profit from Google Earth and there is no international authority to ban this, then I am 100% sure that Google is not going to shut down this project.
  16. as far as I know there is no profit form google earth, there's no ads on it is there?
  17. OldWelshGuy

OldWelshGuy New Member Webmaster

Eventually Google will allow you to visually find local businesses. You can use the map, then find me a xxx here. At least that is how I see it developing.

Featured Resources (View All)