Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Google file patent for news ranking

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by temi, May 3, 2005.

1. temi

temi Facilitator Webmaster

Google is constantly looking to improve search
    Google is planning to improve online news searches.
    A patent filed in the US will allow stories to be ranked according to their quality, rather than just by relevance.

The patent would create a system to compare the track record and credibility of different news sources, New Scientist magazine has reported.

The database would weigh up a series of variables, including story length, number of staff employed and amount of traffic to its website.

source/full story: news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4508637.stm
  2. Duke

Duke Guest

So I can write a 4 page news article and possibly be ranked higher? I wonder how this works for a lot of the open source software programs like postnuke that have a main body and a readmore body.
  3. OldWelshGuy

OldWelshGuy New Member Webmaster

So we can look forward to having lots of BBC news stories at the top then :D
  4. Duke

Duke Guest

Doesn't bbc stand for big bull crap?

I guess anythings better than repeated news on Michael Jacksons nose and Martha Stewart ignoring house arrest.
  5. ovi

ovi Guest

Maybe we will create a home made script for news and we will go up in Rank :))
    I think that this will not happend to increase in rank in this way.

6. Paul_KY

Paul_KY New Member Webmaster

7. Pentarix

Pentarix Guest

ROFLMAO!! :armada37:
  8. Paul_KY

Paul_KY New Member Webmaster

They report, you decide.

America's most trusted news network.
  9. Duke

Duke Guest

Ya but Americans aren't the smartest people on the face of the Earth, they let OJ free. ;)

*waits for rebuttle*

Please don't invade my country now.

I've never looked at them as a news source but will be lurking on their site over the next few weeks to see if what you say is true.

Featured Resources (View All)