Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

How Dependant Are You On Just One Site?

Discussion in 'General Webmaster Helpdesk' started by espmartin, Jan 5, 2008.

1. espmartin

espmartin New Member Webmaster

I run multiple sites, and those are set on different niches.
    I know of webmasters who direct all their energies on just
    one site - and are banking on it for their financial stability.

Now I'm not knocking webmasters who only run one site, but
    for those I know who do, some of them would "loose the house"
    if they fell from the top #5 on Google to lets say #20 in
    the SERPs. One guy even mentioned that if his rankings dropped
    from #1 to #7 - he'd loose a good %30 of his traffic and
    conversions - and would go broke.

Wow. So how many of you webmasters have "all your eggs in just
    one basket"?
  2. ukshopsnet

ukshopsnet New Member Webmaster

I have a day-job with a large multi-national so my eggs are in that basket and the sites I run I could live without if I had to financially, but I like being creative and that means they stay. However, if I did not have a day-job and relied on my sites for my income I would have my finger in many pies. Currently I run varied sites, so I would extend that portfolio of sites.

Now, playing devils advocate; the problem is then, your eggs are all over the place and you take your eye of one of them and crack it breaks. I think there has to be a happy medium of diversification and manageability.

What do you think is the optimimum situation?? I personally think, no more than 4 sites to really work with
  3. xhan

xhan <span style="color: white; font-weight: 700; backg Webmaster

I have one main site but I couldn't care less if I made loads of money on it or not. The $20 I do make a month go straight back into the site as hosting. It works quite well.
  4. temi

temi Facilitator Webmaster

About 4-5 years ago, I fell spectacularly for some desirable keywords, about 80% of my income was wiped off, ever since, I always have at least two websites for each of my important income generating sites. Its more difficult work to maintain two sites rather than one but if the site is a crusial site, its worth it.

Featured Resources (View All)