Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

How to calculate shipping

Discussion in 'eCommerce' started by stephan, Jun 10, 2009.

1. stephan

stephan New Member Webmaster

I am writing my own shopping cart script (PHP and MySQL). However I am struggling to figure out how to calculate the packaging and postage cost.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
  2. temi

temi Facilitator Webmaster

Its one of the most complicated part of shopping cart as various businesses handles shipping differently. Are you developing the application for a particular trade or industry?
    I had a similar issue when doing shipping section of my golf equipment site.

Are you witting it from scratch or modifying an existing application?
  3. liza.pinto1980

liza.pinto1980 New Member Webmaster

re:here is one suggtion

packaging and shipping cost are depends on weight of product,country u delivered, packaging company u chose.
  4. craftyclicks

craftyclicks New Member Webmaster

You are a brave man to take on this kind of a project from scratch! There are a number of ready made shopping carts freely available - probably best to use one of these as a baseline.

As far a shipping goes, IMHO a good generic shopping cart should be configurable and offer a number of options to the merchant:

1. Fixed price shipping (easy) by delivery time (24hr, 48hr etc)
    2. Different shipping price bands depending on destination country/province.
    3. Shipping price based on weight and/or size (will need an extra weight and size attributes for each produck/SKU)

Then you can have a combination of these.... as temi mentioned, this can get very complex very quickly!

If you are writing from scratch I would suggest making the shipping calculator a plug-in with a well defined API. This way you will be able to offer a number of different shipping calculators to suit your users tastes. Also it will open the door for 3rd party developers to customise your shopping cart script easily.

Featured Resources (View All)