Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Illegal downloaders 'face UK ban'

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Lounge' started by gkd_uk, Feb 12, 2008.

1. gkd_uk

gkd_uk Moderator Moderator Webmaster

People in the UK who go online and illegally download music and films may have their internet access cut under plans the government is considering.
    A draft consultation Green Paper suggests internet service providers would be required to take action over users who access pirated material.

Under a "three strikes" rule they would receive an e-mail warning, suspension, and then termination of their contract.

Six million people a year are estimated to download files illegally in the UK.

Music and film companies say that the illegal downloads cost them millions of pounds in lost revenues.

Read more
  2. smeagain

smeagain Distinguished Member Webmaster

I supose the Service providers are really looking forward to investing all this technology, processing power and other expensive resources to achieve a reduction in customers and revenue. Also I expect the expense of running such a clearout of these paying customers would be met by the government and not passed on to us the users.
  3. Resonate

Resonate <span style="color: white; font-weight: 700; backg Webmaster

I dont possibly see how they can inforce this? there are thousands of warez sites & forums each using different file hosting companies to store these.

I could put a safe bet if they brought down rapid share 75% of illegal downloads will be gone
  4. Davidr

Davidr New Member Webmaster

There is a good debate about this here:

Ooops can post a link yet.

its on the technology blogs on the telegraph newspaper blogsite written by Shane Richmond - "More music industry internet idiocy" im sure google knows where it is.

Very good pros and cons debate

Grab a cup of coffee before you start reading this as its a long one :)

Featured Resources (View All)