Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

need help about advertising

Discussion in 'eCommerce' started by jpr2, May 27, 2008.

1. jpr2

jpr2 New Member Webmaster

Hello everyone,

I’ve just registered to this site, i hope i’m in the right section
    Also, pardon my English, I’m French after all :)

I’m currently developing an on-line computer game, I don’t want to disclose too much of the product, let’s just say it’s a kind of treasure hunt, players have to pay to participate and the winner takes all (minus my commission ;-)

I’m not looking for comments about the idea in itself (though I’m sure they’d be valuable), but for information about advertising

I’m currently working on my business plan, and I have loads of questions about advertising costs and strategies

Let’s say i need 50.000 people playing once every month to start making money

I have no idea of the amount (and the time) necessary to reach that level

What is the best strategy, advertise specifically on on-line gaming websites or on the contrary, target main stream websites?

Should I advertise on a CPC or CPM basis? Or mix both?

If it’s on a CPA basis, if a customer registers to my web site but doesn’t make a deposit and doesn’t effectively plays, what would that cost me?
    What would be the CPA if he registers and plays?

Generally, how much are CPC and CPM?

What about viral advertising? Is that “self made” or do advertising companies take that in charge? What does it cost?

What about affiliation?

As you can see (and though I know my product and my market well), i’m week when it comes to web advertising…

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

thanks a lot in advance
  2. deluxdon

deluxdon New Member Webmaster

I think try first Google Adwords for this.

3. KingPin

KingPin Member Webmaster

First off welcome to the forum. Even French people are welcome :p

Ok, you have your concept, now it's time to start marketing.

Do you have a website? if not, that would be a great place to start then you can start SEO on that website, also if the game is yet to be completed and released into the open market, a website would be a great place to start generating the buzz about the game bu leaving little teasers and tantalizing questions.

Also you have the option to add a subscription box so people (that could be potential buyers/users of the game) can stay up to date with the latest going on and where you are with your development.

You have the option of a blog too, which might be just as good seeing as you can update that easier. If you frequent to game forums, placing a link to your blog in your signature would be a great way to entice members to go.

You could use AdWords as suggested but in the online games market your looking at a massive amount of money. Then again it depends on what your budget is etc etc.

Buying an email list is another option, one that is targeted at users that play online games.

That's just a few things but there is a lot more.

4. CoxysBlog.com

CoxysBlog.com New Member Webmaster

I know its boring but try get some high ranking for specific keywords you think potenital users would use, then build your SEO around that
  5. jpr2

thanks to you all

and thanks KingPin for the welcome:winkiss:

i'm not yet to determine what the marketing strategy is going to be, i'm more trying to figure the various possibilities are, and get some rough figures (simple thing like how much are usually CPM or CPC?)

i'm astonished to see how much literature there is about the subject and how hard it is to get simple figures!

thanks anyway

6. KingPin

KingPin Member Webmaster

Figures vary, thats why and there is not "set" fee.

Let's take they keyword Video Games. Your looking at around $2,320 - $4,020 per day.

But if you refine it more it can be considerably less.

7. jpr2

i don't want to take too much of your time, i'll have a look at your blog

8. alec11

alec11 New Member Webmaster

I think you can try combine Adsense with CPM program.
    Or if you want to annoy visitors a little bit, You can try to use pop up ads program.
    btw, you have good idea.
  9. karmadir

karmadir New Member Webmaster

Gaming Portals

Try to Post your game in gaming portal site where other people like you also post.

Featured Resources (View All)