Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

New Site - 301 Old Site to Preserve SEO?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by wisedave, Mar 29, 2011.

1. wisedave

wisedave New Member Webmaster

I'm stuck with a design issue and need some direction.....

We are designing a new website for our business using WordPress. My old site is a bespoke design from a web design company.

What is the best way to be able to still use the little amount of SEO we have performed on the old site, and transfer it to the new site? The current site has about 50 or so web pages. Should I take each page and 301 it to the new web site?

I planned on using the same domain name (which is keyword rich for our market), but the more I think about it, the more I am realising my limited understanding of how this works.

What is the best way to handle this? :confused:

Thanks for the input!

2. Webby49

Webby49 New Member Webmaster

If you can use the same domain that that would be good, as you preserve continuity for all your current users. But if for whatever reason you want to rebrand your blog or something like that and starting with a new domain will do that for you, then 301'ing the old site to the new will pass on the authority from links and to your old site over to the new one. The current keyword rich domain will also be easier to rank initially for that keyword as apposed to a domain that isn't keyword rich, but in the long term with good SEO work this won't matter so much.

Featured Resources (View All)