Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by redlinemaxed, Jul 17, 2007.
Does anyone know when the next Google PR update is?
I'm really hoping for a PR this time round.
I think it is due in a couple of weeks
Nice. Do you think just over 200 backlinks and a 7 month old domain is enough to get a PR? IF i do get a PR , should i see big traffic increases?
Yes, 200 backlinks can give you PR as long as the links are from quality sites. The Web Directory was only a month or two old when it got a PR3.
An increase in PR does not mean you will see a huge rise in traffic. If you want traffic you need to add your site to more directories, advertise at forums etc.
If your main aim is traffic, why not give Google Adwords a go? or advertise in Car magazines?
I have tried google adwords and really don't see that its worth it. I didnt really see much of an increase and it isn't cheap.
I think i'm still in the sandbox as i get less than 30 visits a day so i can't wait to get out of that and really hope it's soon.
Many of the 200 links i have are from forum posts, which i suspect have PR0.
Should i be worried about how little traffic i receive after 7 months?
Your website is a different niche so I think this is probably normal.
I have a web directory and everyone wants to submit to directories so for this reason I receive lots of hits.
If I owned a car site like yours, I would also advertise in motor sports forums, boy racer forums
You must also remember that you need to gain a reputation for your site so people will trust in buying from you. Keep advertising and don't giveup. Once people know your site, you will start to see more traffic.
Have you got a forum on your site as this will also give you the chance to advertise your services?
I use about 6 different forums and in each of them i have a banner and a text link as my sig. I try to post daily on those to get more links and i also have a home page banner on one of the big sites.
I dont have a forum on my own site as i dont really have the time to maintain it and don't see it as being worth it. My main aim is to make money after all and not to build a community.
Its just annoying to still see very little traffic. From experience do you have a rough idea of when i should be out of the sandbox and what kind of impact that will have on traffic?
If you want to see traffic it is up to you on how much you advertise your site. Personally, I think relying on forum signatures is not enough. Most webmasters are online atleast 8 hours a day trying to advertise their sites.
I would defintely start a forum if I had a site like yours. I would then request post exchanges with other forum owners to get the forum filled up a little. There is lots of boy racers out there that you can attract to a forum
Keep advertising, you need more backlinks, get known so people trust your site and then everything should fall in place.
You also need to aim to be high up in Google searches which is not going to be easy.
I have just checked your backlinks and noticed that you have hardly submiitted to web directories.
I think it would be a good idea if you submitted to more directories. Around 70% of traffic to sites comes from search engines. The other 30% includes web directories.
yeah, i have tried to find some driectories but most require a reciprocal link or a fee. the site isn't making enough money yet to warrent spending lots of money on fees and i dont really want my links page full of directories as it doesnt look so good.
Also, i have heard a lot of bad press about directories
There are thousands and thousands of free directories out there that don't require a reipriocal link.
You can submit to my directory if you are not already in there: The Web Directory
There is also Temi's directory which is Haabaa
Here is a list to get you started directorycritic.com/free-directory-list.html
Ok, thanks for your help. Ill get to it now.
What about all the bad press about directories though. Will Google mark me down for this?
Also, does a submission to a directory count as a backlink?
most of the free directories ask for a reciprocal link.
That is right but they also offer a free submission.
You have the choice of selecting free or reciprocal. I offer both on my directory, if a visitor submits a reciprocal link I will approve their link faster unless it is some I know.
Google does not like people buying links in directories to increase PR. Yes, directories submissions do count as a backlink.
Your link has been approved at The Web Directory
Yey. Thanks! Do you think if i jsut leave the reciprocal link box blank, ill be accepted in most directories?
As long as it states free listing, then yes leave the reciprocal field blank
brilliant. that will give me lots to do then. IS there anything i should avoid doing when using directories?
thanks for all your help!
The one thing you need to remember is, Read the Rules before submitting
Separate names with a comma.