Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Online Shoppers Browsing More and Buying Less

Discussion in 'eCommerce' started by T J Tutor, Dec 7, 2015.

1. T J Tutor

T J Tutor Administrator Administrator Webmaster

According to Brett Bair, senior director of Digital Marketing Insights, online retailers have been updating, upgrading, and redesigning sites daily, weekly, monthly, and annually, and yet overall performance is down from 2014 in some major indices.

2014 Average Bounce Rate was 35.25 and 2015 is up 6%

2014 Average Order Value was $122.65 and 2015 is down 2.5%

2014 Conversion Rates Averaged 2.51% and 2015 is down to 2.32

2014 Add To Cart Rates were at 8.31% and 2015 is down to 7.39

On The Highside

Smartphone traffic now accounts for 20% of all ecommerce, up from 13% in 2014.

As well, and our own Oliver Kenyon will like this, the U.K. is converting at higher rates over all other countries!

How do your experiences compare?
  2. shohrab

shohrab Member Webmaster

For me I usually search of coupon code and looking for the best deal in order to find out the right product. And sometimes I check out the online price then go the market to buy the product. This is because I like to see physically the clothing items rather in online images.
  3. Smithee

Smithee Member Webmaster

Could it be that online shoppers are browsing more and shopping less because there are too many stores online these days? They have to visit numerous sites and compare prices first before they decide to buy anything? That IMHO would be one logical explanation because stats seem to indicate that more people are buying online. Maybe offering better deals than their competitors would be the one way for online marketers to make more money?
  4. andymill8o

andymill8o New Member Webmaster

Buying clothing online it's always a huge risk, especially when shops don't have free shipping or returns policy. I guess does online shoppers with some strong customer support (like direct contact to a salesman), have more chances on the market. On thing is for sure, there'll be more and more online shops than physical stores (Japan, China and South Korea are the trendsetters in this matter).
  5. pennylove

pennylove Member Webmaster

I'm one of those customers who browse for items online and don't buy it. I particularly don't like purchasing clothes online, I like fitting them on and seeing them in person. So I browse for similar designs on the internet and see what stores offline have them. Then, I just buy them offline if I like them.

On the other hand, some people do browse different sites before deciding on which site to buy from. Because chances are, one site might offer a lower price than the other sites.
  6. rz3300

rz3300 Member Webmaster

It amazes me how many people are now using their smartphones to shop. It is convenient, I get that, but it just seems a little difficult for me and just is begging for impulse buying, which is something that I, and I assume many others, are actively trying to avoid.

But maybe that is the way that the market is moving, and so maybe that is why the numbers are going down. I still feel the need to sit down and think about my purchased, but maybe that is changing. Maybe a more here-and-now approach is necessary for these companies to continue selling.
  7. T J Tutor

T J Tutor Administrator Administrator Webmaster

I am like that as well. I do purchase many items online, but always with my desktop or laptop.

More and more though, people are making purchases from mobile.

There is a large number that simply research online and go to the brick and mortar business for the purchase.

Featured Resources (View All)